History of The Palace
Referring to the Sunda Land and Atja manuscripts of the Carita Purwaka script Caruban Nagari, Cirebon was originally a small hamlet which was originally founded by Ki Gedeng Tapa, which gradually developed became a crowded village and was named Caruban.
The existence of the palaces themselves began in the village of Kebon Pesisir, in 1445 led by Ki Danusela. The village was developed, then a new village emerged, named Caruban Larang with its leader named H. Abdullah Iman or Pangeran Cakrabuwana. Charuban Larang continued to grow and in 1479 was referred to as Nagari Cerbon, led by Tumenggung Syarif Hidayatullah with the title Susuhunan Jati.
Susuhunan Jati died in 1568 and was succeeded by the Golden Prince who was entitled Panembahan Ratu. In 1649 Pangeran Karim who was entitled Panembahan Girilaya, replaced Panembahan Ratu. Panembahan Girilaya died in 1666, for a while Prince Wangsakerta was appointed Susuhunan Cirebon with the title Panembahan Toh Pati.
In 1677 Cirebon was divided, Prince Martawijaya was named Sepuh Sultan with the title Sultan Raja Syamsuddin, Prince Kertawijaya as Sultan Anom with the title Sultan Muhammad Badriddin. Sultan Sepuh occupied Kraton Pakungwati and Sultan Anom built the palace in the former home of Prince Cakrabuwana.
While Sultan Cerbon is the representative of Sultan Sepuh. Until now in Cirebon there are three sultans known, namely Sultan Sepuh, Sultan Anom, and Sultan Cirebon. The existence of the three sultans is also marked by the presence of the palace namely Kasepuhan Palace, Kanoman Palace, and Kacirebonan Palace.
The shape of the three palace buildings has been widely known by the public and has become a historical tourism destination, along with the existence of the Sunyaragi Cave Park, as well as the Gunung Sembung and Gunung Jati tomb complexes.